Forming a Flat Management Company

residential flats

What are your options?

There are a number of different ways flat owners in a block can solidify their association. In order to have more engagement with the Freeholder and in how your building is managed, you must decide which is right for you.

Choosing the right type of owners’ organisation to suit your block’s specific needs, structure and priorities can be complicated. Will you need to form a flat management company? And if so, what type, and how do you get started?

The options each have their own pros, cons, powers and procedures:

  • Informal residents association
  • Residents Management company (RMC)
  • Right to Manage company (RTM)
  • Right to Enfranchise company (RTE)

Your simple choice

Our seasoned Company and Commercial team can assess your needs, advise on the choice of incorporation and help you with the forms, registrations, procedures and due diligence.

We can also advise on your rights and responsibilities under any formal (or informal) structure, as well as compliance matters and constitution.

Once formed, flat management companies can get additional support via membership to the Federation of Private Residents Associations (FPRA): a not-for-profit advice, support and lobbying organisation for such companies.

Leaseholders also have the right to be consulted in relation to service charges and can form a recognised Tenants’ Association.

Submit your details below

One of our team will send you our easy-to-read 2 page note ‘Your Rights Made Simple’.

  • Please enter a value between 1 and 800.

Make a quick and free online enquiry

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Related News

  • Flat Management Companies – What is a Section 21 Accountant’s report?

    A Section 21 report under the provisions of Section 21 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 is an interesting but possibly useless report of the interim service charge costs. However, it might be useful to tenants wishing to make an enquiry into a service charge budget. However, it does have a sting in the… Read more »

  • Flat Management Companies – Do you need an accountant?

    Flat management companies are often set up by leaseholders who have purchased their freehold with a view to saving costs, both in terms of the service charges that they pay and in relation to other costs that were charged to them by their former freeholder, such as insurance premiums. Saving money is all very well,… Read more »

  • What is a recognised Tenants’ Association?

    Leaseholders who want a greater voice in the management of their building may want to think about forming a Tenants’ Association. A Tenants’ Association can be set up by a group of leaseholders who own leases from the same landlord / freeholder on similar terms. Forming an Association is a good way for the flat… Read more »