Charles is a Dispute Resolution lawyer with Bishop & Sewell, handling a mixed Chancery practice focusing on Business, Property and Contentious Probate disputes, including:
- Breaches of Contract
- Partnership Disputes
- Insolvency Proceedings and Investigations
- Landlord & Tenant Disputes (Commercial & Residential)
- Breach of Directors’ Duties
- Shareholder Disputes
- Contentious Probate
- Disputes involving Trusts (such as Trustees’ Duties and disputes involving Co-ownership of Property)
- Land Law Disputes
- Disputes involving the development of land
Charles returned to education as a mature student after a variety of roles including in contract negotiation, brokerage and change management. Whilst at the University of Southampton Charles held several positions including School of Law President and held seats on the University Court and School Board. Charles graduated 2:1 Hons with a degree focused on International Trade and Mistake in Contract, following which he studied the BPTC and was Called to the Bar by the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple in 2012, where he sat as President of Regional Mooting.
Since then Charles has trained and acted as a Mediator, held a position as a Trustee of a charity focused on Community Mediation and Restorative Justice, and currently retains a pro bono position as Legal Adviser to a Village Residents’ and Traders’ Association.
In 2014, whilst working for a firm based in the City, Charles joined the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives and obtained Fellowship later in 2016. During 2017 Charles joined Bishop & Sewell, following a merger with his then firm Fisher Meredith. Ever seeking development, in 2017 Charles returned (during his spare time) to education again, and in 2020 was awarded the iLPC-LLM, with his Masters’ dissertation focusing on Reform in the realm of Alternative Dispute Resolution, and was latterly Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors.
In 2022 Charles was appointed as a Deputy District Judge on the South Eastern Circuit.
Examples of matters handled by Charles:
- Resisting an Injunction to demolish a three storey building extension
- Obtaining Summary Judgment on terms of an oral agreement
- 5 day trial concerning breach of contract, professional negligence and breach of trust of client’s former surveyor
- Seeking a determination and accounting of unauthorised profits post-Partnership Dissolution
- Investigations into antecedent transactions and transactions defrauding creditors
- Advising on leasehold interpretation and the application of statutory regimes
- Forfeiture of leases and regaining possession of properties
- Challenges to the validity of Wills
- Director Disqualification proceedings
- Disputes surrounding Shareholder Agreements
Outside of work I am a keen (skill level: “enthusiastic”) tabletop gamer, pool player and reader, and remain ever chasing the opportunity to pen my first book.