Bishop & Sewell

When setting up home together, it is important to consider what financial contributions you each intend to make and what may happen if your relationship ends. The law is complex, as unmarried partners have no legal status, so getting early advice is essential, particularly if you are buying a house together and you are contributing different amounts towards the purchase.

A cohabitation agreement can avoid lengthy and expensive litigation if the relationship does not last. It will set out how a home is to be held, what financial contributions are to be made during the relationship and how assets should be divided if the relationship comes to an end.

How We Can Help

  • Help you decide whether any property you own with your cohabitant should be held as joint tenants or as tenants-in-common;
  • Advise generally about the position on legal and beneficial ownership of any property you own with your cohabitant;
  • Identify any claims there might be between you and your cohabitant for maintenance and other financial provision for your children’s benefit;
  • Identify professionals abroad who can advise about how claims between cohabitants about property owned there would be resolved;
  • Advise about claims between you and your cohabitant in the event of the death of one of you;
  • Identify and direct you and your cohabitant to suitable dispute resolution resources to help resolve any issues;
  • Represent you in court proceedings about the legal and beneficial ownership of property you own with your cohabitant.

Next Steps

For initial advice or to arrange a meeting with one of our team, please email or contact 020 7631 4141 and ask to speak to our Family team.

Make a quick online enquiry
    We will never share your details with any third parties and treat all client and contact information and data with the utmost care.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.