The website ‘Property 118‘ has published Mark Chick’s article on ‘Leasehold property and alterations’.
If you own a leasehold flat or house or commercial premises and want to do works, you should read this article first but for a quick checklist, below are the essentials:
Works and leasehold property – What do I need to know?
If you are planning works here are the essentials:
1. Get a copy of your lease
2. Read it / get help with interpretation if needed
3. Approach the landlord for formal written consent / a licence to alter
4. Obtain any other necessary consents (e.g. Planning and building regulations)
5. Talk to the managing agent (if there is one) so that they know what is going on
6. When you have all of the above engage contractor and start the works -remembering to adhere to the licence
If you would like to discuss any leasehold issues by all means get in touch with our expert team by emailing email@example.com or calling 020 7631 4141 and asking to speak to a member of the Landlord & Tenant team.