Bishop & Sewell

What are they?

Those looking to come to the UK to marry or enter into a civil partnership can apply for a marriage or civil partnership visit visa. Applications in this category must be made from outside of the UK.

What are the main requirements?

In order to enter the UK as a marriage or civil partnership visitor, an applicant must demonstrate that:

  • they intend to leave the UK at the end of their visit;
  • they have sufficient funds for their visit;
  • they intend to give notice of marriage or civil partnership; or
  • they intend to marry or form a civil partnership; and
  • the relationship is genuine.

How long can I stay and what are the conditions of my stay?

Applicants can apply to come to the UK for a period of up to six months and are required to leave the UK at the end of this time. There is no option to extend this visa from within the UK.

Applicants should not intend to live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits under this route or to make the UK their main home. Applications can be refused if an immigration officer believes that this is the case.

During their stay in the UK as a marriage or civil partnership visitor the applicant will be unable to work and study is restricted to 30 days.

How we can help?

The requirements for Marriage and Civil Partnership visas are highly prescriptive and the Home Office routinely refuse applications that do not fully comply with the Immigration Rules and guidance. Our highly experienced team of immigration lawyers will assist in preparing and submitting your application to achieve the best possible outcome.

If you’d like to discuss matters further, please email our Immigration team on or complete the online enquiry form on this page.


Make a quick online enquiry

    We will never share your details with any third parties and treat all client and contact information and data with the utmost care.