Bishop & Sewell

What is it?

The Adult Dependent Relative visa is designed to enable adult relatives who need to be cared for to come to the UK to live with a qualifying relative who is living permanently in the UK.

What are the main requirements?

Applicants for Adult Dependant Relative visas must demonstrate that:

  • they are dependent on a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living in the UK;
  • they need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks (such as washing and cooking) because of illness, disability or age;
  • the care they need is not available or affordable in the country they live in; and
  • the person they will be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for them without claiming public funds for at least five years.

The applicant must be unable to access the care needed in the country they are living in, even with the relative’s financial and practical help. The care needed can include a nursing home or a housekeeper.

The applicant will need to provide evidence of their relationship with the relative. Evidence will also need to be provided by a doctor or health professional regarding the applicant’s health and needs.

The applicant must provide evidence of why the care is not available in their home country, or provide evidence of their financial circumstances to demonstrate why the care is no longer affordable.

Applications under this category can only be made from outside of the UK. Applicants cannot switch into this category from within the UK.

The UK based relative must demonstrate that:

  • they are over 18 years old;
  • they own or solely occupy a property in the UK in which the applicant can be cared for;
  • they are a British citizen, are settled in the UK or have been granted asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK; and
  • they are financially able to support, accommodate and care for the applicant.

How long can I stay and what are the conditions of my stay?

If the applicant has met the above requirements, and their relative is a British citizen or has settlement in the UK, Indefinite Leave to Remain will be granted. If the relative has asylum or humanitarian protection and has limited leave, the applicant will be granted limited leave to enter.

How we can help

The requirements of the Adult Dependent Relative visa are highly prescriptive and the Home Office routinely refuse applications that do not fully comply with the Immigration Rules and guidance. Our highly experienced team of immigration lawyers will assist in preparing and submitting your application to achieve the best possible outcome. They will also fully advise on the requirements to be satisfied for extension, settlement and British nationality applications.

If you’d like to discuss matters further, please email our Immigration team on or complete the online enquiry form on this page.

Make a quick online enquiry

    We will never share your details with any third parties and treat all client and contact information and data with the utmost care.