Work Visas

If you have been offered a job in the UK and you are from a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA), you may well need a visa.

Obtaining a work visa can be complex. Our team of qualified immigration solicitors will take the stress out of your visa application. We will guide you through the application process and provide you with clear advice in respect of the requirements.

Tier 2

Tier 2 visas require you to be sponsored by your employer before you can apply to come to the UK to work.

The first step is to obtain a certificate of sponsorship from your employer, who must be a licensed sponsor by the Home Office.

The work you do in the UK must relate to the work of your sponsor organisation. There are various different types of Tier 2 visa. We can guide you and your employer through the process.

Tier 2 (General)

You can apply for a Tier 2 (General) visa if you have been offered a skilled job in the UK

Your sponsor will need to agree to pay you a salary which is above the minimum prescribed by UK Visas and Immigration for the job that you have been recruited for.

You will need to demonstrate that you have the required level of English and you may have to show that you meet certain financial requirements.

Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer)

You can apply for a Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa if your overseas employer has offered you a role in a UK branch of the organisation.

You can apply for this type of visa as long-term staff, or short-term staff. In either case you must have worked for your employer for at least 12 months before the transfer.

Tier 2 (Minister of Religion)

You can apply for a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa if you have been offered a job within a faith community in the UK.

Tier 2 (Sportsperson)

You can apply for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa if you are an elite sportsperson or qualified coach recognised by your sport’s governing body as internationally established at the highest level. Your sport’s governing body must endorse your application. You will need to be able to show that your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level.

Tier 5 Temporary Worker

These visas enable you to come to work temporarily in the UK. You need to be sponsored by the organisation that you want to work for.

  • A Tier 5 (Temporary Work – Charity Worker) visa enables you to come to the UK to do unpaid charity work.
  • A Tier 5 (Temporary Work  – Creative and sporting visa) enables you to take a job in the UK as a:
    • Sportsperson
    • Actor
    • Dancer
    • Musician
    •  Film crew member
    • Someone who works in a creative industry
  • A Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Government Authorised Exchange) visa enables you to come to the UK for a short time for work experience or to do training, an Overseas Government Language Programme, research or a fellowship through an approved government authorised exchange scheme.
  • A Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – International Agreement) visa may be suitable for you if you will be contracted to do work covered by international law while in the UK. This includes working for a foreign government; in an international organisation or as a private servant in a diplomatic household. In some circumstances you will also need to show that you have a certain amount of savings.
  • A Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Religious Worker) visa  would enable you to do religious work such preaching or working in a religious order. In some circumstances you will also need to show that you have a certain amount of savings.

Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa

You can apply for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa if you:

·       want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years; and

·       are aged 18 to 30; and

·       have a certain amount of savings; and

·       You are British overseas citizen; British overseas territories citizen or British national (overseas); or

·        are from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Taiwan

·       You need to be sponsored if you’re from Hong Kong, the Republic of Korea or Taiwan.

Turkish Businessperson visa

You can apply for a Turkish Businessperson visa if you are a Turkish national and you want to start a new business in the UK or come to the UK to help run an established business. You can bring your family with you. You will have to show that the business (or your proposed role in it) is genuine and viable and that you will play an active part in it. You will also need to meet certain financial requirements.

Turkish Worker visa

You can apply for permission to stay in the UK as a Turkish Worker if you are a Turkish national and have legally worked in the UK for at least 1 year as:

·       the spouse of a British or settled person without any restrictions on working in the UK

·       a holder of a work permit allowing you to work in the UK

·       a student allowed to work 20 hours a week during term time and full time during vacation periods

Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

You can apply for a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa if you have been endorsed as an internationally recognised leader or emerging leader in your field in science, humanities, engineering, medicine, digital technology or the arts

You first need to apply to the Home Office for endorsement as a leader or an emerging leader in your particular field.

Then, once you have been endorsed, you can apply for the visa.

There is a limited number of these visas available.  500 visas are released, twice per year.

Why obtain legal advice?

The Immigration Rules are very strict in respect of the supporting evidence that you must provide with your application. Obtaining good legal advice will significantly reduce the stress of the visa application process and the chances of a refusal.

It is particularly important to obtain legal advice if you have previously been refused entry to the UK.

Why use Bishop & Sewell?

Our immigration lawyers have the expertise and experience to help you to  come to work in the UK. Our team has assisted numerous individuals throughout the UK and worldwide, no matter how complicated their case, to obtain a positive result.

What should I do now?

If you are thinking about making an application for a work visa, our Immigration lawyers can provide you with quality legal advice to achieve the best possible outcome. Our Immigration team can answer your questions about the legal process, your rights and what the best option is for you.

For initial advice or to arrange a meeting with one of our Immigration solicitors please contact us on 020 7631 4141.

Make a quick and free online enquiry

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Who to contact

For more information the following lawyers will be able to help with Work Visas.

Mariam Khaliq
More »
Karma Hickman
More »