Student Visas

Do you want to come to the UK to study? Are you a student in the UK who wants to apply for another course or extend your study?

The UK is renowned for having some of the best educational institutions in the world. Many people from across the world travel to the UK to complete part of their education. Whilst the opportunity to study in a new country is exciting, sorting out your visa can be stressful.

If you are from a country outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland you are likely to need a visa to study in the UK.

Whether you need a short-term study visa, or a Tier 4 (General) student visa, our qualified immigration solicitors can advise you. We can also provide advice if you have a child who is in need of a visa for their primary or secondary education.

Short-term study visa

You can apply for a short-term study visa if you are enrolled on a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course. This type of visa may also be appropriate if you wish to do a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad.

Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you are 16 or over and you:

  • Have received an unconditional offer on a course with a licensed tier 4 sponsor;
  • Can speak, read, write and understand English.  You will usually have to pass a test to prove this;
  • Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course. The amount will vary depending on your circumstances and where you intend to study

We can advise you whether the course that you wish to study meets the criteria specified by the Home Office. We can also provide you with clear, easy-to-follow advice regarding the eligibility and maintenance requirements.

Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa

You can apply for a visa for your child if they are between 4 and 17 years old and wish to come to the UK to study at an independent school.

Why seek legal advice?

The immigration rules are very strict. Obtaining good legal advice will reduce the stress involved when applying for your visa.

If you have been refused a student visa, we can help you make a fresh application. We can also advise on varying or extending your student visa.

Why use Bishop & Sewell?

Our immigration lawyers have the expertise and experience to prepare your immigration application, leaving you to focus on your studies. Our team has assisted numerous individuals throughout the UK and worldwide, no matter how complicated their case, to obtain a positive result. We have been ranked in both Chambers & Partners and The Legal 500 as experts in immigration law.

What should I do now?

If you or a family member is making an application for a student visa, our immigration lawyers can provide you with quality legal advice to achieve the best possible outcome.

For initial advice or to arrange a meeting with one of our Immigration solicitors please contact us on 020 7631 4141.


Make a quick and free online enquiry

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Who to contact

For more information the following lawyers will be able to help with Student Visas.

Mariam Khaliq
More »
Karma Hickman
More »