Settling in the UK

Settlement in the UK, also known as indefinite leave to remain, is a huge relief to most people who have come to the UK. Satisfying the Home Office requirements can also be one of the greatest challenges.

Settling means that you can stay in the UK without any time restrictions.

To qualify, you must have had valid leave in the UK for a certain length of time. The time period required depends on which category you are applying under.  You must be of good character. There may be financial requirements and you may also need to demonstrate knowledge of language and life in the UK. Bishop & Sewell solicitors will be able to provide you with clear advice regarding whether you are eligible to apply and if so, which requirements you will have to satisfy. We provide assistance with the following settlement applications:

  • Indefinite leave to remain on the basis of long residence
  • Indefinite leave to remain in one of the Points Based System categories
  • Indefinite leave to remain as a Refugee
  • Indefinite leave to remain on the basis of Discretionary Leave to Remain
  • Indefinite leave to remain as a victim of domestic violence
  • Indefinite leave to remain as partner or child of a British citizen

Why seek legal advice?

Obtaining settlement can be complex, particularly if you have had more than one type of visa since you came to the UK or if you have a submitted an application which has been refused. Failing to disclose relevant information may result in a refusal and is likely to prejudice future applications.

You need to get the right legal advice and assistance from a specialist immigration solicitor, whether you are applying for the first time or following a refusal. We can advise you on the requirements and procedure for a settlement application. We can also provide advice and assistance when an application has been refused.

Why use Bishop & Sewell?

Our immigration lawyers have the expertise and experience to guide you through the process of applying for settlement. [Robert Sparks] heads up a team which has assisted numerous individuals throughout the UK and worldwide, no matter how complicated their case, to obtain a positive result. We have been ranked in both Chambers & Partners and The Legal 500 as experts in immigration law.

What should I do now?

If you or a family member is making an application for indefinite leave to remain our immigration lawyers can provide you with quality legal advice to achieve the best possible outcome.

For initial advice or to arrange a meeting with one of our immigration solicitors please contact us on 020 7631 4141.

Make a quick and free online enquiry

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Who to contact

For more information the following lawyers will be able to help with Settling in the UK.

Mariam Khaliq
More »
Karma Hickman
More »